Freeradius proxy times out after 14 seconds

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed May 31 13:40:57 UTC 2023

On May 30, 2023, at 5:32 PM, raido.rattameister at gmail.com wrote:
> To exclude my company OS hardening influence to Freeradius behaviour I
> downloaded and installed Untuntu 22.04.2 Server.
> Freeradius install (apt install freeradius) was done right after clean OS
> install.

  The setting to look at is "response_window" from the home_server configuration.

> Exactly same result.
> After 14 seconds I get reject back.
>
> Any other ideas where to look at?

  The configuration...

> realm example.org {
>        nostrip
>        authhost = 203.0.113.5
>        secret = <<< secret >>>
> }

  You're not setting response_window here.

> (0) Proxying request to home server 203.0.113.5 port 1812 timeout 14.000000

  Look at the configuration for home server 203.0.113.5.

  Set response_window.

  As I said, the "timeout 14.000" is taken from (a) the client response_window, or (b) the home_server response_window.

  There is no magic here.  You need to set response_window.

  In my tests, if I set response_window=20, then I get "Proxying request to home server ... timeout 20.00000"