Freeradius and OpenLDAP certificates

Stefan Kania stefan at kania-online.de
Tue Oct 3 14:05:30 UTC 2023

Hi to all,

I'm new to Freeradius, but not new to OpenLDAP.

I got Freeradius running with ldap-connection and
Kerberos-authentication for searching the LDAP-tree.

Authentication with radtest and a LDAP-user is working:
------------
radtest u1-verw geheim 192.168.56.47 1812 Passw0rd
Sent Access-Request Id 23 from 0.0.0.0:50791 to 192.168.56.47:1812 length 77
         User-Name = "u1-verw"
         User-Password = "geheim"
         NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.56.47
         NAS-Port = 1812
         Message-Authenticator = 0x00
         Cleartext-Password = "geheim"
Received Access-Accept Id 23 from 192.168.56.47:1812 to
192.168.56.47:50791 length 20
------------

I don't want to use MySQL, instead I would like to use OpenLDAP

Starting with OpenLDAP 2.5 you can create and manage user and host
certificats with the overlay "autoca". You can copy your own CA and the
key into OpenLDAP and then let OpenLDAP create the certificate and the
key for users and hosts. The certificate will be stored in the attribute
userCertificate;binary and userPrivateKey;binary the certificate is in
DER-format. I now would like to use the certificates from OpenLDAP for
authentication.

How can I use certificates located in OpenLDAP for user- and host-
authentication?

Stefan