build options

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Sun Oct 8 20:59:30 UTC 2023

On 08/10/2023 21:37, Bill Schoolfield wrote:
> We package freeradius with our application and the combined package is
> ultimately put under source control on the installed host.
>
> When building everything on the build host, the default build creates
> the certificate files. Basically:
>
> freeradius/etc/raddb/certs/*
>
> So upgrades of our package include new cert files every time which ends
> up as a revision on the install host.
>
> Is there a way to configure the make to skip the generation of certs?
> Basically defer this step to a post upgrade process (one outside the
> source control).

You don't say DEB or RPM, but if DEB you can edit debian/rules to delete
the certs before packaging, and if RPM then do the same with
redhat/freeradius.spec.

An alternative option that I tend to do is to install the packages as-is
but put your own config in e.g. /srv/raddb, then edit
/etc/default/freeradius (or equivalent) to use the config from there
rather than the default location (e.g. add "-d /srv/raddb" to the args).

That way you can easily manage the config separately, and know the
package will never ask any questions on upgrade about do you want to
replace each config file that you've changed.

--
Matthew