Latest server deployment instructions

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Sep 18 20:19:08 UTC 2023

On Sep 18, 2023, at 3:05 PM, Simo Tappola <simo.tappola at gmail.com> wrote:
> To authenticate clients/supplicants,

  That is what a RADIUS server does...

> basically to get it up and running in
> the way FreeRADIUS HowTos describes, with minimal changes to the
> configuration.

  Have you tried following the documentation?

> I suppose my actual question is/was are those instructions
> still valid, even though they are/seem to be more than ten years old?

  The documentation has been *around* for ten years or more.  It hasn't been *unmodified* for ten years.

  Plus, I said that the server comes with documentation.  That documentation is clearly up to date, as it's shipped with the latest version of the server.  Why not do what it says?

  Why not read the comments in the configuration files and follow those instructions to get things working?

> Or
> put in another way, what would be your recommendation for a definite, go-to
> set of instructions to start with?

  So start doing... what?

  I must point out the inherent confusion in asking "How do I do stuff", and when asked for clarification, replying with "I really want to do stuff".

  Computers don't work on wishes and vague descriptions.  Computers work on details.

> Would it be that Deploying RADIUS site,
> README, Wiki or something else? Ultimately, it is of course all of them,
> but what about the very first steps?

  To do what?

  Perhaps instead of waiting for some kind of blessing to go ahead, you could just try to follow the documentation.  Then if it doesn't work, ask detailed questions, and give detailed information.

  What isn't helpful is asking the same question repeatedly, while not actually making progress.  Just get things done.  You can't destroy anything by misconfiguring the server.  It's all just bits on a hard drive.  You can always fix things by updating the configuration files.