EAP-TTLS Diameter usage

Härtl, Calvin Calvin.Haertl at stud.hs-coburg.de
Thu Sep 21 09:59:54 UTC 2023

Hi all,

first of all, thank you for your help so far!

I do have another question regarding EAP-TTLS.

According to eap ttls | FreeRADIUS Documentation (networkradius.com)<https://networkradius.com/doc/3.0.10/raddb/mods-available/eap/ttls.html> and RFC5281 (RFC 5281: Extensible Authentication Protocol Tunneled Transport Layer Security Authenticated Protocol Version 0 (EAP-TTLSv0) (rfc-editor.org)<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5281.html#page-15>), Diameter is being used in this protocol to allow the usage of AVPs. But is there another reason why EAP-TTLS uses Diameter packages?

I am asking, since I checked some PEAP packages with Wireshark and these packages, while not using Diameter, still have AVPs incorporated in them.

I also can not find any sources that state why Diameter was specifically chosen for EAP-TTLS.

Was there another advantage that Diameter offers in the case of EAP-TTLS? I.e. client roaming capabilities, failover, etc.?

Kind regards,

Calvin