Problems to authenticate against an Azure AD -Ldap

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Thu Sep 21 15:11:05 UTC 2023

On 21.09.23 16:59, Uwe Faber wrote:
> Alan DeKok schrieb:
>> On Sep 21, 2023, at 7:13 AM, Uwe Faber <uf at zkm.de> wrote:
>>> Hi folks, i hopw you can help after reading thousends articles and
>>> making  hundred of  trials with the freeradius with no succes.
>>> Here ist the situation, we have an Azure AD and  for this an ldap
>>> server front-end. So i could connect to the AD over the ldap.
>>>
>>> for testing reason i implementet an Local openldap server and testet
>>> ist with the eapol test and it works without problems, but if i
>>> change the ldap connection to the azure/ldap i got the following error:
>>    So... "I did a bunch of stuff and it didn't work.  How do I fix it?"
>>
>>    Answer: do different stuff.
>>
>>> 5) ldap_khs: WARNING: No "known good" password added. Ensure the
>>> admin user has permission to read the password attribute
>>> (5) ldap_khs: WARNING: PAP authentication will *NOT* work with
>>> Active Directory (if that is what you were trying to configure)
>>    I still don't understand why people work *very* hard to ignore all
>> of the debug output and the documentation which says POST ALL OF THE
>> DEBUG OUTPUT.
>>
>>    If you're doing PEAP/MS-CHAP to Azure AD, it won't work. Stop trying.
>>
>>    Use EAP-TTLS with PAP, and then use LDAP "bind as user" (Auth-Type
>> LDAP) in order to hand the password to AD.
>>
>>    Alan DeKok.
>>
>> -
>> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See
> here the debug output
>

> (...)
> (5) ldap_khs: Performing search in "OU=AADDC
> Users,dc=karlshochschule,dc=de" with filter "(cn=testuser)", scope "sub"
> ldap_search_ext
> (....)

> (5) ldap_khs: User object found at DN "CN=testuser,OU=AADDC
> Users,DC=karlshochschule,DC=de"
> (....)

> (5) ldap_khs: WARNING: No "known good" password added. Ensure the
> admin user has permission to read the password attribute
> (5) ldap_khs: WARNING: PAP authentication will *NOT* work with Active
> Directory (if that is what you were trying to configure)
> (....)

The logs are quite obvious. You are trying to do an ldapsearch against
an AD-LDAP. That will not work, since AD-LDAP does not reply with the
necessary LDAP attributes for the password so that freeradius can
authenticate. You have to use ldapbind for authentication.

Next Version RADIUS server:

https://freeradius.org/documentation/freeradius-server/4.0.0/howto/modules/ldap/authentication.html

Perhaps this helps:
https://www.nasirhafeez.com/freeradius-with-ldaps-on-azure-ad-domain-services/