eap_peap: ERROR: (TLS) Alert read:fatal:unknown CA

Dario Barbon dbarbon at olicom.eu
Tue Jan 9 09:44:06 UTC 2024

Hi Kamil, to configure my private CA I did this operations:

1) edited the ca.cnf file provided by FreeRadius with organization
relevant values (default_days, input and output password, country_name,
stateOrProvinceName, localityName, organizationName, emailAddress and
commonName)

2) executed the make command to generate "ca.pem", "ca.der", "printca",
"dh" files

3) edited the server.cnf file provided by FreeRadius (default_days,
input and output password)

4) executed the make command to generate "server.pem" file

5) edited the Makefile in order to execute the following openssl
commands to create client certificates (the reference for this changes
is the TechTalk tutorial posted in the previous mail)

    client.p12: client.crt
         openssl pkcs12 -export -in client.crt -inkey client.key -out
    client.p12  -passin pass:$(PASSWORD_CLIENT) -passout
    pass:$(PASSWORD_CLIENT)
         cp client.p12 $(USER_NAME).p12

    client.pem: client.p12
         openssl pkcs12 -in client.p12 -out client.pem -passin
    pass:$(PASSWORD_CLIENT) -passout pass:$(PASSWORD_CLIENT)
         cp client.pem $(USER_NAME).pem

    client_android.p12: client.crt
         openssl pkcs12 -export -in client.crt -inkey client.key
    -certfile ca.pem -name "$(USER_NAME)" -out client_android.p12
    -passin pass:$(PASSWORD_CLIENT) -passout pass:$(PASSWORD_CLIENT)
         cp client_android.p12 $(USER_NAME)_android.p12

6) edited the client.cnf file provided by FreeRadius ( default_days,
input and output password, countryName, stateOrProvinceName,
localityName, organizationName, emailAddress, commonName)

7) executed the make command to generate client certificates with .p12
extension.

To install the client certificate on Android devices we usually copy p12
files inside Download folder and tap on file to extract the certificate
specifiying WiFi as type. To configure the WiFi profile on device, we
chose EAP-TLS and we select the just installed certificate both on CA
dropdown and client dropdown. Identity and Domain field are filled with
"commonName" value.

All certs are stored inside "freeradius/certs" directory.

Thanks

Dario Barbon