FreeRADIUS EAP-TLS Auth. Issues

Gerald Vogt vogt at spamcop.net
Wed Jan 24 08:22:13 UTC 2024

There is little you can do about this at the moment. I have wrote a
while ago that it's conceptually flawed to mix ca path/file
configuration for the server side (i.e. how the freeradius tls server
builds and presents its chain) with the ca path/file configuration for
the client verification. That already makes it hard.

The "reject_unknown_intermediate_ca" option which I guess actually
should be named "reject_untrusted_intermediate_ca" rejects intermediate
ca certificates which are not trusted, i.e. not in the trust store.

openssl at some point started to distinguish between trusted and
untrusted certificates to help the dilemma that before anything in a CA
file or CA path was trusted (aka a truststore), i.e. any intermediate ca
certificate was trusted because it was in there, even though you didn't
really know anything about that intermediate ca except that it's in your
chain.

Now, with untrusted certificates you can verify certificates through a
chain of intermediate cas to a trusted root without explicitly trusting
each intermediate.

A certificate is successfully verified if there is a known chain from
the certificate to a root ca in the trust store. Only the root ca is
explicitly trusted. All other intermediate ca certificates are per se
untrusted. The validity of the chain and the trust through the chain is
established by the root ca in the trust ca.

Thus, an untrusted intermediate ca certificate in the chain is
acceptable. Just the chain must verify to a root ca in the trust store.

The trouble is how to configure it properly in freeradius as it only has
certificate_file, ca_file and ca_path, and their mixed used for the tls
server certificate (chain) and the tls client verification. The comments
in the configuration files on those options being misleading or
inaccurate in some aspects, too.

Thus, set "reject_unknown_intermediate_ca = no". Technically, the whole
option is properly not needed. If set to "yes", it'll break chains which
are O.K. only because an intermediate ca certificate is not in the trust
store. But that's not an issue as long as the root ca is in the trust store.

It's the same way any browser works: there are trusted root cas and the
chain validation of any webserver is built from there, learning the
intermediate CAs on the way without giving them explicit trust.

Otherwise, I think you have to put all the intermediate CAs for client
verification into the certificate_file which must also contain the
server certificate and chain, because I think that's ultimately what is
currently used as universal trust store in freeradius. But I haven't
tested that lately.

I know that you still need "reject_unknown_intermediate_ca = no" if you
put only the server cert and chain into certificate_file and all root
and intermediate cas for client verification into ca_file (ca_path
commented out), regardless what the comments before ca_file says...

Cheers,

Gerald