FreeRADIUS EAP-TLS Auth. Issues

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jan 24 15:06:59 UTC 2024

On Jan 24, 2024, at 9:44 AM, Gerald Vogt <vogt at spamcop.net> wrote:
> I tried. You have closed the issue. You see my point? You consider opening an issue just as critique and refuse from the very beginning.

  For the record, the issue is this:  https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/issues/5012

  It has a long discussion where you were asked repeatedly to explain what's wrong with the current configuration / behavior, and to offer better suggestions.  That didn't happen.

  So the reported problem ended up being "I don't understand how it works. I don't know how it should work.  I don't know how to change it".

  There is no action we can take to fix that.  Which is why the issue was closed.

> Yes. If the person who evaluates your attempt, has a certain attitude to shoot everything down, you'll obviously ask yourself why should you even try.

  A simple "git log" of the server shows that's not true.  There are many, many, people who have contributed.  But they take the time and effort to do so.

> I am more than willing to help as I do in a lot of other projects, but I can always only contribute to the extent of my abilities (and the time I have).

  As can I.  Yet for some reason, that excuse is valid for you, but you don't think it's valid for me.

  i.e.  You don't have the time or inclination to work through the issue you opened, and you think that's fine.  But if I don't do that work and instead close the issue, then I'm a bad person.

> You are disappointed that there is a large group of people who have suggestions how to improve something or who find issues in how things are, but who are not able to contribute significantly...

  At the minimum, I expect contributions to be something more than "I did a bunch of stuff.  It didn't work the way I expected.  You need to fix it".

> You can either pick that up, show some interest and start a discussion which could well go deeper, or you can simply be disappointed and tell people that they "have time and energy to criticize, but none to contribute", expecting them (between the lines) to provides fully finished code patches which you can review.

  We both know hat isn't what I said.  I've asked you for documentation updates, or for a clearer description of the problem.

  If you need to lie in order to "win" an argument, that's a lot more problematic than my "negative" attitude of asking you to a little bit of work.

> I would love to participate and contribute

  Apparently not.