debug log

Jon Gerdes gerdesj at blueloop.net
Wed Jul 10 00:05:53 UTC 2024

On Tue, 2024-07-09 at 19:08 -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2024, at 6:59 PM, Ryan McGuire via Freeradius-Users
> <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
> > Cam you point me in the direction of a tutorial to set up
> > freeradius from start to finish?

8<

Ryan

As Mr DeKok said, RADIUS is sodding complicated.  I found that using
tools like radclient and running the server in debug mode really gets
things into perspective.  Read the output carefully.

Run the job and grab the logs.  Now leave your computer and go and grab
a cup of tea/smoke a fag/say a mantra or whatever: You do you!  Pass
the logs through something like lnav or notepad++ or whatever gets some
colour and context into them on your OS.  Take a deep breathe and start
reading critically.

There are a lot of moving parts with RADIUS and you need to eliminate
silly things. such as a miss typed/pasted secret or a complete miss
understanding of what on earth is going on!

There is no easy tutorial for all eventualities but your use case is
pretty standard as far as I can tell.

Bon chance

Cheers
Jon

PS A debug log with an auth attempt in it might help us to help you