Freeradius V2 to V3 - Handle "Tagged" Attributes

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Mar 13 19:51:04 UTC 2024

Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> writes:

> On Mar 13, 2024, at 10:40 AM, Kabsof <kabsof10 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I found nothing about changes between V2 and V3 about tagged attributes (i
>> found something between v3 and v4)
>>
>> Do you have an idea, how can I make it work with V3 ?
>
>   Move the tag to the attribute name:
>
> 	Tunnel-Server-Auth-Id:1 = "xxxxxx"
>
>   v2 prints this out, and accepts that format as input, too.  It accepts the tag in the value for compatibility with RADIUS servers going back to 1993.
>
>   That was too hard to keep in v3, so we keep the "Name:tag" format, and removed the "tag:value" format.

I know I should just take your word for it, but... this surprised me
since I just recently looked at that code in the 3.2.x branch:
https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/v3.2.x/src/lib/pair.c#L1543

I'm all for converting to the new format.  But to me it looks like
":tag:value" is still supported in 3.2.  Or am I completely lost now?

Bjørn