Issue with starting FreeRADIUS dhcp on Ubuntu 24.04

Nick Porter nick at portercomputing.co.uk
Mon May 27 13:08:31 UTC 2024

On 27/05/2024 13:55, Jan-Willem Curinckx via Freeradius-Users wrote:
> We're Trying to set up FreeRADIUS 3.2.2 as a DHCP server on Ubuntu 24.04, we've been having the same issue for a while now, where FreeRADIUS can't start the service because of an error.
>
> /etc/freeradius/mods-config/sql/ippool-dhcp/mysql/queries.conf[23]: Failed parsing expanded string:
> /etc/freeradius/mods-config/sql/ippool-dhcp/mysql/queries.conf[23]: ...FROM dhcpippool WHERE pool_name = '%{control:IP-Pool}' AND pool_key = '%{%{DHCP-Client-Ident...
> /etc/freeradius/mods-config/sql/ippool-dhcp/mysql/queries.conf[23]:                                         ^ Unknown attribute

The "out of the box" FreeRADIUS configuration has the pool name
attribute referred to as ${pool_name} in the query files - which, at
boot time will be expanded to the value of "pool_name" in the module
configuration - which by default is Pool-Name.

Have you changed the queries or the module configuration?

Pool-Name is an attribute name defined in the FreeRAIDUS dictionaries -
and therefore will work.  IP-Pool is not in the standard FreeRADIUS
dictionaries, so if you wish to use that as the attribute name, you will
need to define it in your local dictionary.

--
Nick Porter