FreeRADIUS DHCP Server is receiving requests but not replying

Nick Porter nick at portercomputing.co.uk
Tue May 28 14:03:17 UTC 2024

On 28/05/2024 14:30, Jan-Willem Curinckx via Freeradius-Users wrote:
> The FreeRADIUS DHCP 3.2.2 Server on Ubuntu 24.04 I had issues with last time starts without displaying errors, however as I'm testing the functionalities by sending packets from a different host, the DHCP server only receives requests without replying.
>   noop
> (2)     update reply {
> (2)       &DHCP-Your-IP-Address := 1.2.3.4
> (2)     } # update reply = noop
> (2)   } # dhcp DHCP-Discover = noop
> (2) Not sending reply to client.
> (2) Finished request
> (2) Cleaning up request packet ID 3692384735 with timestamp +502 due to done

The last operation you do returns the return code noop, so the whole
section ends with the code noop.

This is causing FreeRADIUS to not reply.

If you insert "ok" before the end of your dhcp DHCP-Discover section
then the reply packet will be sent

Look at the sample dhcp server where the DHCP-Discover section ends with:

         #  If DHCP-Message-Type is not set, returning "ok" or
         #  "updated" from this section will respond with a DHCP-Offer
         #  message.
         #
         #  Other rcodes will tell the server to not return any response.
         #
         #ok

That "ok" is commented out, as the expectation is that one of the
previous module calls will have set a return code - either ok / updated
if an address has been assigned or noop / fail / notfound etc if it has not.

--
Nick Porter