Fast roaming support

Josh Howlett Josh.Howlett at ja.net
Mon Jan 7 17:07:52 CET 2008

Session resumption is quite different from Opportunistic PMK caching
("Fast roaming").

The first is a property of some TLS-based EAP methods that take
advantage of the 'session resumption' feature in the TLS Handshake.
Windows and PEAP calls this 'Fast reconnect'. TTLS calls it the proper
name. It only involves exchanging a couple of TLS Handshake messages,
hence 'Fast'. Most importantly, there are no changes to the wire
protocols.

The second, which is part of 802.11r, is the opposite. It doesn't change
how EAP works, but it does change (slightly) how things work on the
wire. I won't go into the details, the spec is available from IEEE.

I'm talking about 'Session resumption', because that's what Windows
supports :-)

I don't think that there are any special RADIUS considerations. Section
7.5 of draft-funk-eap-ttls-v0 is a good description of how it works,
from an implementor's PoV; it's a bit clearer than the equivalent
section in the PEAP spec.

Note that the RADIUS server needs to cache the MSK derived from the
original TLS exchange; I am curious how the patch that got submitted
handled this...

josh.

eradius.org] On Behalf Of Arran Cudbard-Bell