slow recovery from SIGHUP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon May 7 18:14:49 CEST 2012

Bruce Bauman wrote:
> We are running freeradius 2.1.10 in a moderately busy  environment.  We send our server a SIGHUP daily to rotate our logfiles.
>
> The server seems to sometimes take > 15 minutes to recover from the SIGHUP and start responding to requests again. Our monitoring software then generates alerts because it thinks the server is dead.

  15 minutes?  It should take 1/10 of a second.

> I quickly perused the code and nothing obvious jumped out at me. Any suggestions as to how to "fix" this?

  These kind of issues are almost always DNS.  You have hostnames in the
config, but no corresponding entries for them in DNS.  Or, your DNS
server is down.

  So... when the server looks up a name to IP mapping, it takes 30s to
time out.  Multiple times.

  You can also use gdb to figure out what it's doing.  See doc/bugs.