Missing Acct-Output/Input-Octets attributes using Aironet 1200

Marcos Gonzalez mgtroyas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 14:54:49 CET 2005

Hello all members of this list. My name is Marcos, I'm a Spanish

university student, and I'm doing my final project about Radius AAA on
wifi networks.
So far, I've managed to use EAP-TLS authentication and everything seems
to work. But I'm trying to use accounting and it doesn't work as expected.

I'm using freeradius 1.0.4, on a Fedora Core 4. My NAS is a Cisco
Aironet 1200. The client is a WinXP  laptop.  My problem is:

When receiving "Accounting-Request" accounting packages, both
"Acct-Status-Type" = "stop" or "alive", they include the
"Acct-Session-Time" attribute, so I can track time. But the
"Acct-Input-Octets", "Acct-Output-Octets", "Acct-Input-Packets" nor
"Acct-Output-Packets" are not present. I checked this both running
"radiusd -x" and sniffing with ethereal. They're allways missing.

I think the problem is the NAS configuration. I don't know if some kind
of misconfiguration made only time being tracked, not bytes sent and
received. If somebody knows a way of make both things being tracked, or
an extract of the config I should use on the NAS, it would be highly
apreciated. I've been trying to fix this for days. Thanks in advance.