Confused about 'hints' file

Chris Carver ccarver at pennswoods.net
Thu Jul 13 23:15:46 CEST 2006

Brenckle, Nicholas wrote:

> I have an entry in the hints file, that when I uncomment, the
> authentication fails. And I can't figure out why.
>
> When/where during the process does the hints file come into play? Im
> watching everything under debug mode, and I can't figure it out....
>
> Thank you!

You have to match on it in the users file.  Create your huntgroup in the
huntgroups file as shown in the examples, although you can match on any
attribute you like not just prefix and suffix.  For example I create
huntgroups and use NAS-IP-Address frequently.  In your users file just
match on the huntgroup-name.  Here's my setup with data modified for
security purposes...

###  huntgroup file ###
huntgroup1      NAS-IP-Address == 192.168.0.1
huntgroup1      NAS-IP-Address == 192.168.0.2
huntgroup1      NAS-IP-Address == 192.168.0.3

###  users file  ###
DEFAULT Huntgroup-Name == huntgroup1
        Idle-Timeout = 900,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,