Confused about 'hints' file

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Fri Jul 14 09:14:58 CEST 2006

Hi,

> > I have an entry in the hints file, that when I uncomment, the
> > authentication fails. And I can't figure out why.
> >
> > When/where during the process does the hints file come into play? Im
> > watching everything under debug mode, and I can't figure it out....
> >
> > Thank you!

> You have to match on it in the users file.  Create your huntgroup in the
> huntgroups file as shown in the examples, although you can match on any
> attribute you like not just prefix and suffix.  For example I create
> huntgroups and use NAS-IP-Address frequently.  In your users file just
> match on the huntgroup-name.  Here's my setup with data modified for
> security purposes...
>
> ###  huntgroup file ###
> huntgroup1      NAS-IP-Address == 192.168.0.1
> huntgroup1      NAS-IP-Address == 192.168.0.2
> huntgroup1      NAS-IP-Address == 192.168.0.3
>
> ###  users file  ###
> DEFAULT Huntgroup-Name == huntgroup1
>         Idle-Timeout = 900,
>         Framed-Protocol = PPP,
>         Service-Type = Framed-User,
>         Fall-Through = no

The question was not about "huntgroups", but "hints". hints is used during
preprocess and is a packet mangler: it's the only place where you can modify
and add all the request items at will. It's mostly often just used to add
request items based on the prefix or suffix of the User-Name attribute for
historic reasons, but it's much more powerful than just that.
The only packets ignored by hints are those without a User-Name attribute
(Acct-Start and -Stop mostly), this limitation is for historic reasons.

If it works if you don't touch the file, and it doesn't when you do, the
solution is simple: don't touch it.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg