How does freeradius calculate the number of required threads?

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 03:12:50 CET 2006

On 10/29/06, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

{cut}

>   The server spawns more threads when all of the current threads are
> busy.  It looks to me like your Perl scripts are taking WAY too long
> to process a request.  i.e. If they take 1/10 of a second, then your
> server can handle 10 requests/s.
>
> > I suspect that about 50-60 threads would do the job, but if
> > i drop the limit  to 60 it just locks quicker.
> > Any ideas how to fix that?
>
>   The problem isn't the number of threads.  It's that each request is
> taking too long to process.  Find out why.

I'll have a look into that. The question is - how can I effectively
measure the time that a single request takes? I suspect that the
problem might be caused by the fact, that some information from every
accounting packet is stored in the database (even though the load on
the db machine is low, the number of simultanious request might be
causing some problems).
My next question is - what should be the realation between the number
of freeradius threads and rlm_perl threads? Almost every single
request requires some perl help - should there be a match - 1 to 1
beetween them?

kind regards
pshemko