How does freeradius calculate the number of required threads?

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 06:21:20 CET 2006

On 10/29/06, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

{cut}

>   The server spawns more threads when all of the current threads are
> busy.  It looks to me like your Perl scripts are taking WAY too long
> to process a request.  i.e. If they take 1/10 of a second, then your
> server can handle 10 requests/s.

{cut}

>   The problem isn't the number of threads.  It's that each request is
> taking too long to process.  Find out why.

You were right (as usual) :-), the configuration of the proxy was a
bit flawed, and instead of caching the destination after figuring out
what to do with the packet the perl script was 'forgetting' all the
maths, so every single packet had to be individually analysed. That
was taking the load (and processing time) through the roof . After
getting that under control system behaves now much better  (not
perfect, but that's rather problem of tunning).
I have one more question, though, - assuming that almost every single
packet request requires some perl intervention - what should be the
ratio of freeradius threads to rlm_perl threads (at least which number
should be higher, or should they be equal)?

kind regards
pshemko