WPA/RADIUS Problems

K. Hoercher wbhoer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 13:16:48 CEST 2006

Hi,

I won't comment on the relative merits of "I don't know how, but it
works for me in my little universe" vs "Lots of reading, complex,
perhaps trial-and-error-prone configuration but immensly versatile"
styles different people obiously think differently about.,

On 9/6/06, Alexandros Gougousoudis <gougousoudis at kh-berlin.de> wrote:
> >  The server includes a "debian" directory, whixch is used to build
> >debian packages.
> >

> I tried that with source-install of the deb, but compilation fails on
> sarge and unstable, bug list is full on debian.org, so I'am not the only
> one who had this problem. I think at least the eap module relies on some
> lib which is not GPL and not included into Debian and they try to move
> around it. But FR without EAP is at least for me useless.
>
> I did not try the debian dir of the official tar of freeradius.org, I

But that is going just too far, let me set the record straight:

1. Building packages with eap on pre-sarge and later on for released
sarge used to be a bit awkward but doable and has improved much over
time.

2. debian maintainers of freeradius imho do a great job in providing
working and policy conformant packages.

3. debian source package builds on unstable without problem here. And
it provides a minimal intrusive way of enabling ssl and postgres
related stuff.

4. Although not the way intended by debian in general, the upstream
tarball contains a debian dir (as noted), which, at least, leads to
compiling, package building with the proper tools (just tested).
Sorry, I didn't check functionality , but I suppose there won't be any
problerms until shown otherwise. And you suggested compilation errors,
which doesn't hold true.

5. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=freeradius does
only list 1 minor bug (which might be considered whishlist) and 4
wishlist bugs, ancient or left there for reference purposes.

6. Technically, the needed libssl-dev is part of debian, but because
of alleged license problems (which this list and many other searchable
places contain lots of information about) freeradius in debian is not
linked against it.

Ok, enough <defend-debian-mode> for now. :)

regards
K. Hoercher