rlm_perl behaviour

Garber, Neal Neal.Garber at energyeast.com
Fri Sep 29 16:29:31 CEST 2006

When I call a perl module via rlm_perl and don't undef %RAD_CHECK and
%RAD_REPLY before exiting, rlm_perl duplicates some attributes contained
within the hashes.  For instance:

At entry to rlm_perl instance:

$RAD_CHECK{'Ldap-Group'} is an ARRAY: (GroupA, GroupB)

After exiting the script, "Added pair Ldap-Group..." messages appear in
debug output.  If I call another perl script to dump the %RAD_CHECK
hash, it shows:

$RAD_CHECK{'Ldap-Group' } is an ARRAY: (GroupA, GroupB, GroupA, GroupB)

If I "undef %RAD_CHECK" before exiting from the first perl module, the
values are not duplicated.  I did some analysis of the sequence of
events and I believe this is what's happening:

- rlm_ldap creates the Ldap-Group attributes on the check list with
operator T_OP_CMP_EQ during authorize (Ldap-Group is a checkItem in my
ldap.attrmap)

- upon return from the perl script, rlm_perl calls pairmove to move the
attributes from the RAD_CHECK, RAD_REPLY and RAD_PROXY_REPLY hashes back
to the respective pairlist.

- pairmove adds attributes to the destination list for operator
T_OP_CMP_EQ (takes default case) which creates duplicates

Is this expected behaviour of rlm_perl?  If so, can it be put on the "to
do" list for rlm_perl documentation updates (or is it there already and
I missed it)?  Also, this seems to imply that it's not possible to
change or remove, at least, some types of check or reply attributes from
within rlm_perl?

Also, the wiki for rlm_perl states that it passes configuration pairs in
%RAD_CONFIG.  I don't believe this is true (the hash is empty and I
checked the source for 1.1.2, 1.1.3 and the latest snapshot and it
doesn't create that hash).  Is this a feature that is "in the works" or
is the wiki incorrect?

I can supply debug output, radiusd.conf and scripts if necessary..

Thanks.