Freeradius as a proxy to Windows IAS - not solved after all :-(

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 08:45:49 CEST 2007

Hugh Messenger wrote:
> Clive Gould said:
>
>> I have installed freeradius 1.1.7 and get the appended message when I try
>> to use it as a proxy between a Linux/Moodle/PHP radius client and a
>> Windows IAS server. The shared secrets are definitely the same.
>>

> [snip]
>

>> Received Access-Accept packet from client 10.200.0.2 port 1812 with
>> invalid signature (err=2)!  (Shared secret is incorrect.) Dropping packet
>> without response.
>>

> Have you actually retyped the secret in FR (or better yet, copy and paste
> from your Moodle config)
(check for trailing spaces) :)
>  and restarted the service?  Sometimes our eyes can
> deceive us, and even on close inspection, we can see what we expect to see,
> not what is actually there.

Moodle as in the VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) ? Didn't know that
supported RADIUS Authentication..
It's most likely that they've used the authentication framework classes
from the pecl repository, and I know for a fact that , that uses the
standard RADIUS extension which works just fine ...

If you want I've got a very simple php RADIUS auth class you can test
with your proxy server just to make sure it's not a bug in Moodle,
mangling up strings from the configuration database or some other weird
Moodle thing..