dictionary handling

Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
Wed May 23 23:44:47 CEST 2007

Hi,

since I just begun to use freeradius in production I found some strangeness.
The default configuration is to include all dictionaries but I wonder
how they are evaluated?

I have a Cisco NAS which sends (at least I think) VSA records and so I
configured the Cisco VSA hack.

For accounting reasons I'm interested in Cisco-PreSession-Time which is 198.
In the detail log I found X-Ascend-PreSession-Time instead of
Cisco-PreSession-Time though.
If I grep through the dictionaries I found:

dictionary.alvarion:ATTRIBUTE   Alvariaon-VSA-198
198     string
dictionary.aptis:ATTRIBUTE      CVX-PreSession-Time
198     integer
dictionary.ascend:ATTRIBUTE     Ascend-PreSession-Time
198     integer
dictionary.ascend:ATTRIBUTE     X-Ascend-PreSession-Time
198     integer
dictionary.cisco:ATTRIBUTE      Cisco-PreSession-Time
198     integer
dictionary.epygi:ATTRIBUTE      Epygi-OutRTP_PacketSize
198     integer
dictionary.lucent:ATTRIBUTE     Lucent-PreSession-Time
198     integer

So I find it strange that freeradius logs X-Ascend-PreSession-Time at
all since it's not the first match and not the last one.
In addition I wonder if it makes sense that dictionary.ascend has two
definitions for 198.

I was under the impression that the correct dictionary would be chosen
by the vendor ID (9 in case of Cisco).

So any idea why freeradius logs Ascend attributes then?

Thanks,
 Wolfgang