Is it possible to add custom user attributes?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Sep 24 16:30:00 CEST 2007

Terry Pelley wrote:
> Sorry, I should have been more clear.  What I am trying to do is add an
> attribute that will allow me to append the Corporate Asset Tag on their
> PC to the user.conf.

  Please, there is no "user.conf" file that ships with the server.

> The attribute does not need to be processed by
> FreeRadius in any way. It is simply required to provide a little more
> information about the user.

  I would suggest using a real database.

> For the moment, I am accomplishing this in the following manner:
>
> username Auth-Type :=Local, User-Password == "password"
>         # Asset-Tag = "123456"
>
> I would simply like to remove the # as it is only a matter of time
> before someone forgets to put it and caused the server not to load.

  Use a real database.  And when you upgrade, don't set Auth-Type, and
use Cleartext-Password rather than User-Password.

> I am assuming that I need to add an entry to the
> dictionary.freeradius.internal file, but I am not sure where in the file
> to do this. In other words, what range?
> My assumption is that once I have added the attribute to the correct
> numerical range in the dictionary, I will be able to remove the #
> character from my line in the user.conf.

  If you want to do it that way, yes.  Read the dictionary file for
instructions.