radius user-password on the wire

Michael Lecuyer mjl at theorem.com
Tue Apr 29 16:06:54 CEST 2008

The User-Password value is a MD5 chained pad based on the shared secret
and packet authenticator. The password is XOR'd over the pad and this is
chained to the next pad. The process is reversible.

Essentially this is as close to a perfect encryption scheme as you can
get - entirely depending on the cryptographic strength of the
authenticator's randomness, the shared secret, and the MD5 message
digest algorithm.

It's probably good enough depending on who's snooping. Computer
randomness is not great, the MD5 algorithm has collisions, and your
shared secret could be poor or compromised.