dot1x specification EAPOL-Logoff clarification

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Apr 29 18:50:14 CEST 2008

Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having some interesting issues with a HP ProCurve 2510 an Apple Mac
> Power Book running OSX 10.5.2, and MAC-Auth + EAP-Auth on the same
> wired port.
>
> I know this isn't strictly the list for this as this isn't really
> RADIUS, but i'm not sure where to post...
>
> Two questions:
>
>    IEE802.1x-2004
>        8.1.3 EAPOL-Logoff
>        When a Supplicant wishes the Authenticator PAE to perform a
> logoff (i.e., to set the controlled Port state to
>        unauthorized), the Supplicant PAE originates an EAPOL-Logoff
> message (see 7.5.4) to the Authenticator
>        PAE. As a result, the Authenticator PAE immediately places the
> controlled Port in the unauthorized state
>
> 1) It appears in the spec that there is no requirement or indeed
> method of the Supplicant PAE of confirming that the EAPOL-Logoff has
> been honoured. So the supplicant PAE could be in the unauthorised
> state while the Authenticator could be in the authorised state. Is
> this an over site of the dot1x spec, or is this meant to be handled at
> a higher level with EAP ?
Sorry. Looking at the diagrams in 8-5 it appears my suspicion is
correct. Unless a re-auth timer is implemented by the Authenticator PAE,
this mismatched authentication state could persist indefinitely.

The EAPOL-LOGOFF frame is *not* retransmitted to the Authentication
server... and the Authenticator PAE does not respond to EAPOL-LOGOFF
frames, it just alters it's state. So if the EAPOL-LOGOFF frame was lost
in transit... damn, why no EAPOL-LOGOFF-CONFIRMATION packet ... In every
other part of the EAP/dot1x spec a request *should* always be answered
by a response... but not here... are these guys idiots, or am I being
dense ?!

See this would solve the issue in question 2 perfectly.

--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk)
Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Officer