dot1x specification EAPOL-Logoff clarification

Artur Hecker hecker at wave-storm.com
Tue Apr 29 23:26:31 CEST 2008

Hi Arran

In my eyes, the fact that it is not confirmed is a minor issue. It's
probably a reasonable design choice: as you said, the controlled port
at the Auth may be in the authorized state, while the client might
think that is unauthorized, so what? This can happen at any time
anyway, e.g. in wireless when the connection suddenly drops. Besides,
in practice most Supplicants won't bother sending anything at all:
what if the NIC was suddenly unplugged by the user? What if the PC has
crashed? What if it was unpowered, etc etc etc.

In any case, confirmed or not, every Authenticator *must* be prepared
for such a situation. By the way, it is in no way against its policy,
since it is not up to the supplicant (=client) to decide when the
network access port is to be opened and when it is to be closed. This
decision is up to the AuthServer, which has supposedly issued a
positive decision as to the controlled port in question being open at
this very moment.

Actually I would rather complain about other issues with EAP-Logoff.
For instance, it is not authenticated/signed, so it is a perfect DDoS
possibility.

Artur