Duplicate IPs for Radius Clients with different secrets - allow any client IP?

Anders Holm anders.holm at sysadmin.ie
Wed Dec 17 20:55:24 CET 2008

Eric Geier wrote:
> Thank you for the info, David.
>
> I think the following is an example of how this could work, which I googled:
>

>> client 212.37.57.2 {
>>        secret = "%{sql:SELECT secret FROM accesspoints WHERE id =
>>
> %{raw:NAS-Identifier}}"
>
>>        shortname = "just one of our example networks"
>> }
>>

> I'm thinking I could even just have one client entry like this...but set to
> allow any IP. Is that possible?

clients.conf

client 0.0.0.0/0, shared secret = "open" ...

Why bother doing the SQL stuff, if you're going to let anyone use your
service anyway? Think about it ... clients.conf controls which APs/NAS'
are allowed to send you stuff to process. If your intention is to open
it for anyone that can reach your service, why then do the above? The
end clients are not what will send you requests, the APs are ....... I
think you've missed the point of the IP addressing for the end clients
versus how you wish to handle the APs ...

And for a service which allows or denies access for your internal users,
I wouldn't personally allow anyone from the outside world even get close
to that service.

You want to understand basic networking and security considerations
before seriously contemplating this.

Start looking at getting a VPN solution between your offices, or simply
just put one FreeRADIUS box in each office.

Continue on this path and fairly soon someone will have found your
wireless setup and the service which allows clients to authenticate
sitting out in the open. You might as well not have anything in place at
all then...

//anders