EAP Notification

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Thu Jan 3 16:50:33 CET 2008

Hi,

> Running a packet capture of an EAP TTLS session against FR cvs head,
> noticed EAP Notifcation packets are being sent.
> The type-data appears to match that of the Reply-Message. Is this a
> feature of rlm_eap that I missed before,
> or is the NAS being clever about it's interpretation of the
> Access-Accept  packet, and encapsulating the Reply-Message attribute in an
> EAP-Request Notification packet ?

Didn't we have a similar discussion on this list before, about RFC3579's text
in chapter 2.6.5? IIRC, the outcome was that a Access-Accept packet which
contains an EAP-Message attribute MUST NOT contain a Reply-Message? And since
EAP conversations end with an Access-Accept that always contains an
EAP-Message with EAP-Success in it, no Reply-Message should be sent at all?

Plus, RFC3579 contains lots of text in that chapter that explains why it is a
bad idea to a) send a Reply-Message anyways and b) why a NAS should silently
discard this attribute if present, rather than try and translate it to a
Notification.

So, I agree with Josh that it must be something very NAS-specific, but it's
highly dubious that it's a good thing.

Then again, if RFC3579 would be updated some time soon so that the behaviour
is then standardised and not any more vendor-voodoo (keying material stuff is
under review anyways by the HOKEY wg), and if the drawbacks mentioned in
there could be solved cleanly, *then* this behaviour could become a good one.
A very good one even, for those debugging purposes.

Like, concern [1] in RFC3579 section 2.6.5 could be addressed by: the NAS then
MUST filter out the EAP-Response/Notification packet and not forward it to
the RADIUS server and treat this EAP conversation as ended.

concern [2] could be addressed with: since the NAS knows all identifiers in
use for current EAP conversations, it can choose one that is currently not in
use.

Then again, RFC3748 (EAP) states:

5.2.  Notification

   Description

      The Notification Type is optionally used to convey a displayable
      message from the authenticator to the peer.  An authenticator MAY
      send a Notification Request to the peer at any time when there is
      no outstanding Request, prior to completion of an EAP
      authentication method.

, the important part being *prior to completion*. So the only message flow
that makes sense in this context is

(supplicant)		(NAS)			(RADIUS-Server)

... EAP ...
			    <------------------ Access-Accept with
						EAP-Message and
						Reply-Message
	<--------------- EAP-Req/Notification
			 (containing Reply-M)

	---------------> EAP-Resp/Notification

			--- NAS discards EAP-Resp,
			no forward to Server ---

	<--------------- EAP-Success with
			 content of EAP-Message

Is that what you're seeing? In that case, quite cool, but that should be
somewhat explicitly documented in an update of RFC3579 because it is not
exactly trivial.

I wonder though why FR permits sending a Reply-Message when an EAP-Message is
present. I used to think it forbids that for RFC-compliance reasons.

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg