Goodbye SNMP, hello statistics.

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Jun 20 18:41:29 CEST 2008

Alan DeKok wrote:
> A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> this is very cool - i guess it would be handy to let remote
>> authorised machiens query it

Seconded.
>   Yes.  But... it is a potential security issue to expose those
> statistics to anyone who asks.
>
>   I could see external sites querying these statistics if:
>
> - the connection is encrypted
> - the client is querying a socket dedicated to Status-Server messages.

But it also kinda limits the usefulness of the feature. Couldn't you
place it in the hands of the server admins to decide which hosts can
query and which can't? Another configuration item in clients?

>> (trivial to have one central stats
>> store then) but still..... I hope to see a lot of useful tools/widgets
>> using this. bit of RRDTool is calling.....
>>

>   Yes.  There are a LOT of statistics available now.  Almost every
> counter that you could track inside the server is exposed via this method.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Arran

--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk),
Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Officer,