Include Vendor Dictionary ?

David Toms dgt at musunge.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 16:23:34 CET 2008

Hello all,

I'm using freeradius 2.0.1 with mysql to authorize users for a wireless
hotspot.  I have a wireless router running CoovaAP firmware.  I'm using
Arch Linux, and everything is now working great, with ONLY ONE niggling
problem remaining

I have not modified the freeradius configs much.
I added "VENDOR ChilliSpot 14559" to the dictionary file, which I hoped
would make freeradius read the "dictionary.chillispot" dictionary.  The
file says "see man dictionary for the format of the dictionary files",
but this man page is not installed.

There is no indication in the radius log that it has read a vendor
specific dictionary.

When freeradius attempts to authorise a user in the appropriate group,
a message:
rlm_sql: Failed to create the pair:
Invalid octet string "1024" for attribute name
"ChilliSpot-Max-Total-Octets"
is logged and the user is rejected.

I am assuming that the attribute name is invalid, because the vendor
specific attributes are not known to radius. I added it to the default
realm in the "attrs" configuration file, but no good.

So, what is wrong?  How do I allow vendor specific attributes to be
sent in a radius reply?

Many thanks in anticipation.

David