[eap] ERROR! Our request for tls was NAK'd with a request for tls. Skipping the requested type.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 29 08:29:37 CEST 2009

excelsio at gmx.net wrote:
> Freeradius is 2.x on a Debian 5.0.  My first attempt was with MD5, which works without any problem.
> Next step is TLS, which works at 50%. Well, the client authentication of TLS works, but when I configure to do a server authentication within the IP phone´s setup, it fails.
> =============================================================================================================================
> As soon as I enable "Server Authentication" wthin the IP phone, it fails:
> =============================================================================================================================
>

> Going to the next request
> Ready to process requests.
> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 192.168.10.130 port 1812, id=146, length=336

  EAP Identity...

> Sending Access-Challenge of id 146 to 192.168.10.130 port 1812
>         Framed-Protocol = PPP
>         Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobson-TCP-IP
>         EAP-Message = 0x011800060d20

  Starting EAP-TLS...

> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 192.168.10.130 port 1812, id=147, length=343
>         EAP-Message = 0x02180006030d

  Ugh.

> [eap] ERROR! Our request for tls was NAK'd with a request for tls.  Skipping the requested type.

  Yup.

> Well, what´s going wrong?

  The client is badly written.  It shouldn't NAK tls with a request for
TLS.  The likely cause is that the client (for some unknown reason)
doesn't like the server certificate.

  I would suggest trying with different certificates, and possibly
different EAP types.