How to disable threads in 2.1.7

Craig Campbell craig at ccraft.ca
Fri Oct 16 14:44:13 CEST 2009

I was hoping to build a version that could fork children, but not spawn
threads.

There are known 'challenges' in using the fork command in multi threaded
environments.  (As opposed to a process that forks children for different
processing branches.)  A couple of years ago I had an extremely challenging
time modifying an existing threaded application to additionally fork off
children to perform certain other tasks.

The issue I am seeing of stranded/hung children looks similar (that is not
to say I have caught the culprit...  just suspicion at this point).
The issue seems to happen only sometimes during bursts of increased load.
(Same as my previous experience.)

If I were to GUESS, at this point I'd look for interrupts that result in
children when mute locks are in place and unintentionally inherited by the
child process.  (My solution was to acquire ALL locks before a fork, then
have the child and parent clear them all after) - see man pthread_atfork
section: RATIONALE if you have access to a Linux system).

I cannot explain why apparently no one else is seeing the issue I am
chasing.  As far as I can tell, my configuration is quite basic.

I am now trying a run with the -s option but, if successful, it won't tell
us much about why.

Thanks for all the assistance,
-craig