Zombie Infestation of Log file?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Apr 22 08:55:13 CEST 2010

Benjamin Marvin wrote:
> Any other suggestions on where I should look to see why the servers
> are marking the upstream servers as Zombie?

  The only log message is that it's marking the server zombie.  Until
it's marked zombie, it *might* be alive.  The reason it's marked zombie
is because the home server hasn't responded to the packet in the last
"response_window" seconds.

  So... it's pretty simple.

  This *can* be caused by the home server selectively responding to
packets.  i.e. it responds to 1/2 of the packets, and ignores the rest.
 This could make the state "flip" back and forth between zombie && alive.

>  I failed to mention that
> the servers are marking only the accounting port on those servers as
> Zombie.

  Yes.  Any unique combination of (ip, port) is treated as a unique home
server.

> Please let me know if you want the 9MB debug or if you have
> recommendations for making a smaller debug file.

  Nope.

  Look at the statistics using "radmin".  You can look at individual
home servers, and stats for received / sent packets.   You might need to
install the git "v2.1.x" branch for accounting stats, though.