Is this Install Guide Complete?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Apr 30 20:34:50 CEST 2010

On Friday 30 April 2010 01:21:47 pm Huckle Berry wrote:

> installation worked like a charm, so for future reference the correct
> procedure is:
> 1) edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include "deb
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main"
> 2) sudo apt-get install freeradius
> 3) sudo apt-get install (suggestions from prior command)
> 4) edit /etc/apt/sources.list to remove "deb
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debiansqueeze main"

This goes against recommended package management procedures in Debian.  Mixing
two different distributions can have unpredictable consequences.  Is there a
reason for not using the Backports distribution?  Installing from backports
may not bring in as many new libraries, dependencies, and installs, but the
system will work with the existing versions.  You should also look into the
documentation on "apt pinning" if you insist on mixing releases.

I am running 2.1.8 from lenny backports and it works well for me.