query

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Dec 15 16:11:46 CET 2010

On 12/15/2010 10:00 AM, karnik jain wrote:
> Hello Sir,
>
> Thank you so much for spending valuable time of yours for the reply.
>
> As per my understanding of RFC 2865,
>
> It is clearly written in section 5.0 of RFC 2865 that
>
> “text       1-253 octets containing UTF-8 encoded 10646 [7]characters.  Text of length zero (0) MUST NOT be sent;omit the entire attribute instead.”
>
>   So, It has to be converted into UTF-8 as per*RFC 3629 - UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646*at the time of sending
>
>   ACCESS REQUEST packet to RADIUS server by NAS and same it has to be decoded by NAS when it is being received from server
>
>   in ACCESS ACCEPT packet.
>

>   If it would be compatible to each other thanWhat is the need of including above statement in RFC-2865 clearly?
>
>   Sir,
>
>   I am totally confused by your statement that “*there is no need of conversion as it is compatible”.*
>
>   I have searched a lot regarding this thing and I am not able to find any such thing as said by you.
>
>   I am also able to find one open source library named*iconv*  which can does this encoding and decoding task.
>

> *Can you please tell me that?*
>
> * From where I can find the information regarding US-ASCII&  UTF-8 compatibleness as per your reply or any RFC number if it is known to you?*

ASCII is a proper subset of UTF-8. No conversion is necessary, ASCII is
UTF-8 by definition. If you read the relevant RFC's you would know this,
it's not hard to find this information thus it's left as an exercise to
the reader :-)

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?