radiusd -X On First Boot

Brian Carpio bcarpio at thetek.net
Tue Jan 5 20:50:22 CET 2010

I am running RHEL 5.3 and FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.8.

When I install freeradius and attempt to start it for the first time using
the /etc/init.d/radiusd start script it always fails (only right after
freeradius is installed), once i run freeradius with -X (in debug mode) it
creates all the keys and such then I can cntrl + c and start free radius
from that point forward using the init script... my question is why do I
have to do this? Is there anyway around this?

Thanks,
Brian Carpio