radiusd -X On First Boot

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Jan 5 21:16:37 CET 2010

Hi,
> I am running RHEL 5.3 and FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.8.
>
> When I install freeradius and attempt to start it for the first time using the /etc/init.d/radiusd start script it always fails (only right after freeradius is installed), once i run freeradius with -X (in debug mode) it creates all the keys and such then I can cntrl + c and start free radius from that point forward using the init script... my question is why do I have to do this? Is there anyway around this?

probably because when run from the init script it cannot actually start the
daemon (due to requirements to create the key etc).  if everything is in place
correctly beforehand then it will work.

I guess the question , then, is - can the RPM do the required creation of
example/test keys etc rather than require the admin to jump through the
hoops - and thats a question for the distro maintainers.

alan