Can a wpa_supplicant talk to a Free Radius server without a NAS in between?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Mar 3 02:03:20 CET 2010

R C wrote:
> Here is my requirement in more detail:

  It was pretty clear what you wanted to do.

> 1. Considering the limitation of the resources, I was thinking about how
> i can get so many (100,000) wpa supplicant sessions up and running at
> the same time. Do you have any input on this?

  Doing 100K simultaneous sessions is pointless.  Your CPU will max out
LONG before that.  Read raddb/certs/README, the "performance" section.

> 2. When you say "Just run 5-6 processes at the same time.", can one
> interface be used to send out multiple simultaneous wpa supplicant
> requests? If yes, how many wpa client sessions can i generate on 1
> interface?

requests.

> 3. Can you please tell me how good WPA supplicant and Hostapd fit this
> test with FreeRadius Server?

  I have no idea what that means.

> 4. Are they good for scalability testing or should I look out for other
> open source wpa supplicants/NASs?

  I already told you which tool to use.  Why ask again?

> 5. Do you know of any other supplicants and AP that might do the work
> for me or are known to do a better job in scalability tests like this?

  Asking the same question twice in a row.  Why?