No User-Password or CHAP-Password attribute in the request

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 12:40:27 CET 2010

Hi,

> i use ubuntu as radius server
> all configuration file is under /etc/freeradius/*
>
> as client i use winxp wired without certificate. just EAP-MSCHAP v2 as authentication method.
>
> in my users file i put one user like this:
> ##############################
> linatest        Auth-Type = CHAP , Cleartext-Password := "linagora"
>                 Service-Type = Framed-User
> ############################

okay - now you messing things up.  for a start this is not what you said
int he last email

secondly, wired authentication on a WinXP will either be EAP-TLS, PEAP (w MSCHAPv2)
or EAP-MD5

either way, setting "Auth-Type = CHAP" is just totally wrong (wrong wrong wrong). dont do it.

just have

linatest        Cleartext-Password := "linagora"

in your dumb/basic testing users file and then do the WinXP connection....you should see all
sorts of things about EAP then flying past the screen...that'll be okay - and it'll work if you
have configured the client to ignore certificate and dont check certificate etc...you'll have
also configured the client to NOT use the windows login for authentication or login is guest
because those settings will also mess things up.

what you are currently trying to do will work 100% with latest version of FreeRADIUS
with ONLY the users file being played with.

of course...the other thing is you're using Ubuntu - did you build this yourself WITH SSL support
enabled or did you just get it via apt-get/synaptic?  'cos its very likely you wont have SSL
support (and hence no EAP!) if you havent sorted that bit out too.

alan