Threads & Perl

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 5 16:15:25 CET 2010

Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:
>>> The main question is: will FreeRADIUS with use of rlm_perl script be
>>> able to serve multiple requests simultaneously or each next request
>>> should wait until previous will finish?
>>  Yes.
>
> Simultaneously?

  Yes.  Try it.

> My tests show me that only one perl instance created every time,

  That is NOT what I meant.  Threads are NOT instances.  One Perl
instance may be used for multiple threads.

> max_requests_per_server option (from thread pool {}) does not work at
> all - FreeRADIUS does not create new instance after 3+ requests.

  It NEVER creates a new instance for a new request.  It MAY create a
new thread.

> 1. Should I compile perl with threads to enable multiple instances?

  How the heck to you expect to do parallel processing in one server
daemon without threads?

> 2. With non-threaded perl, separate perl instances created?

  Your questions misunderstands how the server works, and is therefore
meaningless.