How to handle challenge response using PAM auth in FreeRadius

Rajendra Hegde Rajendra.hegde at cryptocard.com
Mon Mar 15 17:16:48 CET 2010

Hello,

I am developing a PAM module for radius server.
The radius server is configured to use PAM auth.
It reads /etc/pam.d/radiusd and loads it on receiving auth request.

The PAM module talks to external Authentication server and sometimes gets back  "Challenge Respose".
How can this be returned back to radius server from  pam_sm_authenticate from  my PAM module ?

Please note that this is different than what pam_radius_auth.c does.
pam_radius_auth.c talks to radius directly via network
where as my module directly gets loaded by Radius.

Why should not there be a way to return "Challenge Respose"
from linux PAM back to it's loader ?
Can this possible linux limitation be overcome by radius calling another exported  function for
PAM module covering all scenarios including "Challenge Response" ?
Where should I look into in the freeradius codebase, if I were to
add that functionality ?

with best regards,

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of the company. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.  Please see our legal details at http://www.cryptocard.com
CRYPTOCard Inc. is registered in the province of Ontario, Canada with Business number 80531 6478.  CRYPTOCard Europe is limited liability company registered in England and Wales (with registered number 05728808 and VAT number 869 3979 41); its registered office is Aztec Centre, Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol, UK, BS32 4TD