How can I set freeradius to connect to another freeradius server to find external database.

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 22:43:45 CET 2010

Hi,

> but it doesn’t work

yep. that wont work. reason? because you proxied to the
remote RADIUS. it didnt know the user and therefore you got
a reject. once you get a reject then all bets are off with this
config - the 'fail-over' is if there is no answer from the
RADIUS server - at which point it will try the second server.

> Do I need to config proxy.conf or others files ?
> or other method to setup for this scenario ?

personally? why do you have a second RADIUS server with the MAC
info? why not consolidate?  if not...so you have SQL access to the
other RADIUS server? if so , then you can do a fall-through authentication
eg use local mysql and if that fails, then dont care and hit the second
mysql server  eg

change the current SQL config from

sql {
stuff detailing your servers etc

sql first_sql_server{
stuff detailing the first server
}

sql second_sql_server{
stuff detailing second server
}

then, instead of calling 'sql' in the auth section, you call

first_sql_server
second_sql_server

(with the relevant wrapper around it to ensure that if the first
fails, then the second gets called... - check out the docs
http://wiki.freeradius.org/Fail-over )

alan