Found Auth-Type = LDAP WARNING: Unknown value specified for Auth-Type.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Nov 15 07:17:32 CET 2010

Neal Vadekar wrote:
> i am using freeradius 2.1.7 on centos 5.5, i have configured openldap
> and wish to have authentication/authorization against this datasource.
>
> i have configured my radius.conf as follows:

  ... almost everything deleted.  Why?

> i have configured my users file as follows:
>
> test55    Cleartext-Password := "test55"
> DEFAULT Auth-Type = System
>    Fall-Through = 1
> DEFAULT Auth-Type := LDAP
>    Fall-Through = 1

  That makes no sense.  You're forcing "system" authentication,
immediately followed by over-writing that, and forcing LDAP authentication.

> when i run “radtest testldap testldap localhost 10 testing123” the out
> put is as follows:
>
> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 40626,
> id=223, length=60
>        User-Name = "testldap"
>        User-Password = "testldap"
>        NAS-IP-Address = 172.16.159.11
>        NAS-Port = 10
> +- entering group authorize {...}
> ++[preprocess] returns ok
> ++[chap] returns noop

  That should be a hint.  The server is using "chap" in the "authorize"
section.  *But* the "chap" module is not listed in the "authorize"
section you posted above.

> I do not understand why i get the following error:
>
> Found Auth-Type = LDAP
>  WARNING: Unknown value specified for Auth-Type.  Cannot perform
> requested action.

  Because you're not editing the configuration files that the server is
reading.

  Read the debug log.  It prints out *which* files it's reading.
Compare that list to the files you're editing.

> i can tell you when i use radtest with the test55 user directly
> defined in the users file, it works, also, when I use a unix user in
> the passwd/shadow files it also works.

  Which should be another hint.  The "authorize" and "authenticate"
sections you posted don't support "unix" authentication.