EAP-TLS authentication allows me to authenticate with invalid certificate.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Oct 13 08:50:38 CEST 2010

Terry Simons wrote:
> I'm running into an issue where FreeRADIUS allows an invalid certificate (one not signed by my configured CA) to successfully authenticate to EAP-TLS.

  Well... the code which prints the error "verify error:num=20:" is in
the "verify certificate callback" function.  It's returning FALSE to
OpenSSL.

  OpenSSL *should* return that error back up the call chain to the
functions in src/modules/libeap/.  They look for error returns from
OpenSSL, and stop the conversation if so.

> There's a message in the log that clearly indicates that the CA wasn't found (--> verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate) , yet my authentication succeeds.
>
> I'm using FreeRADIUS version 2.1.10 with a largely default configuration (home-grown certificates).

  Does it fail authentication with another version of FreeRADIUS?  If
not, it's an OpenSSL problem.

> I want this authentication to fail because the certificate that the client is using was not signed by the CA that I have configured with the CA_file directive, therefore it should be considered an invalid EAP-TLS attempt.
>
> Has anyone seen this before?

  Nope.  I'm not a crypto person.  FreeRADIUS hands the SSL stuff to
OpenSSL, which does it's magic to verify the certs.