num_answers_to_alive

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Thu Aug 4 15:36:25 CEST 2011

Hi,

the configuration of 2.1.10 has the parameter num_answers_to_alive in
proxy.conf. Looking at the source code, I found that instead, in
realms.c, the config option num_pings_to_alive is used. num_answers is
read from the config, but never referenced.

If that's the case, then the config option in proxy.conf should be
changed to be num_pings_to_alive, otherwise people will likely fail to
tweak the value.

Speaking of tweaking the value, I also found

       if (home->num_pings_to_alive < 3) home->num_pings_to_alive = 3;
       if (home->num_pings_to_alive > 10) home->num_pings_to_alive = 10;

The documentation says that 3..10 are *useful* ranges, but doesn't
mention that everything else is forbidden. In particular, I would like
to use 1, not 3. The idea is: the server was dead before, but now it
managed to send a reply back - so it must have been fixed. I would like
to mark it alive immediately. Is that unreasonable?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER