num_answers_to_alive

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Aug 4 16:20:05 CEST 2011

Stefan Winter <stefan.winter at restena.lu> wrote:

> The documentation says that 3..10 are *useful* ranges, but doesn't
> mention that everything else is forbidden. In particular, I would like
> to use 1, not 3. The idea is: the server was dead before, but now it
> managed to send a reply back - so it must have been fixed. I would like
> to mark it alive immediately. Is that unreasonable?

Similar to 'link flapping' (think OSPF/BGP), you should use heuristics
as things are not just black and white.  If a service simply had two
states "up" and "down" then that probably would be okay, but we also
have 'unstable'.  Imagine this state coming from:
 * overloaded RADIUS server (or backend DB)
 * link congestion between RADIUS servers

Having a value of three, says not just "alive" but also "alive and has
been for a while"; this could be further interpreted that the service is
stable as well as alive.  If the system briefly came back and died then
on attempt two or three you would have likely seen a failure.

Hope I am explaining myself well :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter