Problem with accounting and sql

Paul Thornton prt at prt.org
Fri Dec 9 00:41:18 CET 2011

Hi

I've been trying to debug why accounting information isn't making it
into the SQL database on our main FR server (2.1.11) - it seems that
this has been the case since upgrading from version 1.something ancient
a few months back.

I have a fairly simple MySQL backed setup - and minimal changes of the
config files to enable this; just to be clear this was a fresh install
of the OS + FreeRADIUS so no danger of old configuration files still
lurking around.

sql is uncommented in both the authorization and accounting sections of
the sites-available/default file (accounting section shown below), and
the sql module is enabled in radiusd.conf - the server works just fine
for auth via SQL as can be seen in the debug.

accounting {
        #
        #  Create a 'detail'ed log of the packets.
        #  Note that accounting requests which are proxied
        #  are also logged in the detail file.
        detail
#       daily

        #  Update the wtmp file
        #
        #  If you don't use "radlast", you can delete this line.
        unix

        #
        #  For Simultaneous-Use tracking.
        #
        #  Due to packet losses in the network, the data here
        #  may be incorrect.  There is little we can do about it.
        radutmp
#       sradutmp

        #  Return an address to the IP Pool when we see a stop record.
#       main_pool

        #
        #  Log traffic to an SQL database.
        #
        #  See "Accounting queries" in sql.conf
        sql

        #
        #  If you receive stop packets with zero session length,
        #  they will NOT be logged in the database.  The SQL module
        #  will print a message (only in debugging mode), and will
        #  return "noop".
        #
        #  You can ignore these packets by uncommenting the following
        #  three lines.  Otherwise, the server will not respond to the
        #  accounting request, and the NAS will retransmit.
        #
#       if (noop) {
#               ok
#       }

        #
        #  Instead of sending the query to the SQL server,
        #  write it into a log file.
        #
#       sql_log

        #  Cisco VoIP specific bulk accounting
#       pgsql-voip

        # For Exec-Program and Exec-Program-Wait
        exec

        #  Filter attributes from the accounting response.
        attr_filter.accounting_response

        #
        #  See "Autz-Type Status-Server" for how this works.
        #
#       Acct-Type Status-Server {
#
#       }
}

I can see accounting requests being received, but there seems to be no
sql module action happening to insert them into the database; but I
cannot see why from the debug.  I've not changed any of the pre-defined
SQL queries.

The debug log attached (it was a bit big to post inline) has had three
minor hand-amendments:
- SQL server password removed.
- Shared secret for the two clients removed.
- The very long list of clients loaded from SQL reduced to the router
  being tested.

Any pointers/suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Paul.