"radiusd -X" read my sql database but not "freeradius -X"

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Jul 18 11:49:21 CEST 2011

On Jul 18, 2011, at 11:37 AM, schnoocats wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> as part of my studies I try to set up a radius server with a mysql database.
> I have a wifi access point defined as a client (172.16.140.87) in a NAS
> table inside my radius database.
>
> Everything works perfectly when i test with the tool "radiusd -X" !
> But when i use the tool "freeradius -X" it does not connect to the database,
> so it will not read the client and therefore I 'have a great "Ignoring
> request to authentication address * port 1812 from 172.16.140.87 port 59129
> unknown customer." when i test.
>
> What the differences between this 2 tools ?
> What can i do for solve my problem because by default the daemon is
> freeradius and it ignores my requests...

The ubuntu package renames radiusd to freeradius, so it will be using the configuration installed with the package and not your configuration.

If you compiled from source you'll get the original radiusd binary.

The easiest way is to:

sudo mv /usr/sbin/freeradius /usr/sbin/freeradius.pkg
sudo ln -s <path to radiusd> /usr/sbin/freeradius

Then all the startup scripts will execute the version of the RADIUS daemon you built.

-Arran

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudbardb at freeradius.org

RADIUS - Half the complexity of Diameter